- The ability to regulate the amount of energy used by the water heater is what sets brands apart within the industry. ECOSMART is on the leading edge of technology as it relates to precisely modulating energy consumption based on specific demand.
- May 17, 2011 - Ecosmart US, LLC is issued patent # 7,945,146 for Self Modulating Tankless Water Heater.
- ECOSMART’s exclusive Self Modulating Technology is designed to read (i) inlet water temperature (ii) flow rate and (iii) temperature settings.
- This information is sent to a microprocessor which calculates and adjusts this information at a rate of 60 times per second, to provide only the energy that is needed for the applicable demand.
- This revolutionary, patented technology is exclusive to ECOSMART.
- Most tankless water heaters on the market operate by a FLOW SWITCH. When hot water is demanded the flow switch is pushed or moved by the water flow and activates the unit.
- ECOSMART Flow Sensor activate at a .25 gpm flow rate.
- The “Full on/off” method of regulating energy consumption turns power to the heating elements either completely on or off. This causes surges in energy and can cause flickering of lights.
- The “Hunting” or “Staged” method of regulating sends a pre-determined amount of energy to the elements and then the unit determines if that is enough or not and adjusts, then repeats.
- ECOSMART heaters only consume precisely the amount of energy necessary to heat the given demand by regulating the voltage send to each element NOT by turning power completely on or off to the element.
The chart to the left demonstrates the difference in how energy is consumed between a flow switch and a flow sensor. The blue line represents the erratic energy consumption associated with flow switch tankless water heaters. The red line represents energy consumption by an ECOSMART tankless water heater. This is the most advanced type of electric tankless water heater available. This technology constantly measures the water flow and both incoming and outgoing water temperatures to modulate power (amperage) to the heating elements as changes are detected, thereby maintaining a precise output water temperature at the level selected by the homeowner/user.
Ecosmart uses proprietary software based on nearly 20 years of experience within the tankless water heater manufacturing business to program the electronic boards in every electric tankless water heater.
The table to the right shows the detail of the calculations necessary to determine the appropriate amount of energy to heat the given hot water demand. This information is processed over 60 times per second within Ecosmart microprocessors to send the right amount of voltage to each element to produce the necessary kW demand.